The thing about anxiety is that everyone experiences it from time to time in one form or the other. It’s normal.
That normal anxiety that most anyone knows about is not at all what this website, ReliefByDesign is about.
Because some of us know a different breed of anxiety, we call that a disorder. And it is indeed a disorder.
Anxiety in various forms become disorders when people experience it far more often and far more intensely than other people.
This problem manifest in a myriad of ways and can and often does completely take over a person’s life and lifestyle.
In fact, there’s several different anxiety disorders known to the medical profession.
It seems that the most common ones are:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder or GAD. This is usually chronic anxiety that seems to have no real origin yet can be turned on and elevated with worry and tension.
- Panic Disorder. Panic disorder is characterized by panic attacks. The symptoms can be the same as with GAD but much more exaggerated.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or OCD. This form of anxiety is about constant unwanted thoughts that one can’t seem to dismiss, and they become obsessions. The compulsive part of OCD is usually some sort of repetitive behavior like hand washing, counting, cleaning, etc.
- PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is an anxiety disorder often associated with war veterans, but is not limited to this. It comes from terrifying events associated with physical harm, emotional abuse, accidents, and violence of any form.
- Social Phobias or Social Anxiety Disorder. This is when over the top and excessive self consciousness causes extreme anxiety. These situations can be anything from public speaking, to merely eating in the presence of other people.
- Agoraphobia. Agoraphobia causes sufferers to fear things like public transportation, crossing imaginary lines and boundaries, open spaces, closed spaces, crowds, leaving home, staying home alone, and more.
- Hoarding Disorder. Individuals who can’t get rid of possessions no matter what, or the personal cost. These people generally suffer from also being separated from social functions and just functioning normally in society.
- Separation Anxiety. Separation anxiety is actually more common than most of us realize. It’s when individuals have debilitating anxiety when separated from their primary attachments. It could be a spouse, sibling, boyfriend, girlfriend, or anyone they have become uncommonly attached to.
That may not be a complete list of disorders associated with anxiety, but each is real and can have devastating effects on the life of the patient and families.
I don’t claim to have all the answers, but have years of experience dealing with my own anxiety disorders.
I have taken a long list of medications, and tried a variety of home remedies to be rid of the beast.
In the end I learned how to deal with it as it occured, and finally reduce my own anxiety disorders to a mere nuisance before eliminating it altogether.
My suggestion is to learn how to use natural cures for anxiety even if you are forced to seek medical help and medications. And I do not think you should dismiss medical solutions for your own anxiety.
I do think that for the vast majority of people learning what anxiety is, where it originates, and having the courage to face it head on for the purpose of eliminating it — works.
The purpose of this website is for learning about anxiety disorders and the depression that often accompanies it and various methods and techniques to make life better.
Life is much better without anxiety hanging on to you and controlling your life.
I must say that reading about the problem is not likely to help you, though.
It takes action to get better. So read about the techniques, and then put them into action.