Breathing For Relief
Learning how to practice deep breathing is easy, free, and efficient for the release of anxiety and stress. And as a bonus deep breathing improves your overall health.
Any deep breathing exercises work by calming your muscles and mind as the oxygen and blood flow increases throughout your body.
With only a couple of minutes you learn to breathe away your anxiety, and stress. Practicing this simple technique trains you to breathe from your abdomen without thinking about it.
Simple Deep Breathing Exercise
For best results practice this technique twice a day or whenever you’re overwhelmed with negative thoughts or stress.
- Place one hand on your chest—the other on your abdomen. When you take a deep breath in, the hand on the abdomen should rise higher than the one on the chest. This indicates that your diaphragm is inhaling all the way to bottom of your lungs.
- After exhaling through your mouth, take a slow deep breath in through your nose imagining that you are sucking in all the air in the room and hold it for a count of 7 (or as long as you are able, not exceeding 7)
- Slowly exhale through your mouth for a count of 8. As all the air is released slowly, gently contract your abdominal muscles to completely evacuate the remaining air from the lungs. It is important to remember that you breathe deeper by completely exhaling, not by trying to inhale more air.
- Repeat this for a total of 5 deep breaths and try to breathe at a rate of one breath every 10 seconds (or 6 breaths per minute). At this rate your heart rate increases, which has a positive effect on heart health.
Your exhalations should usually be twice as long as you inhale. Use your hands on your chest until abdominal breathing becomes a habit and you are comfortable breathing into your abdomen.
Using deep breathing exercises on a regular basis will train your body and mind to quickly:
- Come to a state of calm
- Minimize stress and anxiety in all tense situations
- Divert or calm an anxiety attack
- Relieve the symptoms of anxiety
- Start your day feeling alive and invigorated, or start your day over any time you choose
- Relax and unwind at the end of your day
Deep breathing is invaluable when it comes to guarding against anxiety and stress taking over your life and health. Don’t take your breath lightly.
Check out this post for step by step directions for a powerful meditation technique: